Search This Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

Saturday Night Fever

Despite my best efforts, I have gotten sick in India. Not Delhi Belly but a case of the flu (self-diagnosed of course!). This is the first time in about 10 years I have taken a real sick day, since working from home in the US has allowed me to muddle through most any sickness I have had. When you have to drive an hour to the office, meet face to face all day and risk exposing 10,000 people to your cold - you think twice about dragging yourself in. After a pretty productive week at work and a good trip to the nursery to find some plants for our terrace, we headed out to a nice Thai dinner on Saturday night. A general malaise set in and I was in bed by 9, only to wake up with a fever of 101 and a full body ache. Fortunately I shipped an arsenal of familar over the counter pharmacy remedies and then some heavy duty antiboitics. I began to run through the checklist of potential viruses or deadly diseases I could have contracted, all from the comfort of my bed via my iPhone web access...Could be flu, H1N1 (and this was the only vaccine I did not get before I left for India), Japanese Encephelitis, Malaria or the common cold. I typically jump to conclusions, fearing the worst as it could only be my luck as the sole income earner now to be sick! Fortunately I brought along my personal Chemist, Doug, who calmly told me that Malaria and Japanese Encephelitis require bug bites, which I was seemingly devoid of. Secondly, he gave me some regular motrin and 2 tablespoons of Robitussin and put me back to bed. I did feel better and was able to watch my alma mater, University of Michigan, win their first home football game of the season. However, as Sunday passed by I seemed to get worse and developed a cough that leaves me sounding like E.T. Now having a sick day far away from your real home, is not so much fun. One of the downfalls of living in a third world country means that there are intermittent power losses...Well one of those happened today and knocked our TV and internet out, so I tried to pass the time with solataire (the kind with real cards) and naps.

For those of you celebrating Labor day today, enjoy the last hurrah of summer in the US and I will continue to nurse my flu/ cold wrapped up in my snuggy and isotoner slippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment